Although LED and more energy efficient sources are on the rise, incandescents are still commonly used in home lighting applications. If you’re planning a remodel or a lighting upgrade, it’s important to consider the pros and cons of going with incandescent lamps. Here’s a few to start the conversation.
- Low initial cost (note: high on the maintenance side)
- High color rendering index (CRI – or your ability to render colors accurately)
- Instant on
- No ballast
- Available in a multitude of sizes, shapes, bases and wattages
- Easy dimming capabilities
- Wattage interchangeability
- Very low efficacy (lumens per watt)
- High infrared outlet (heat production)
- Short life (frequent bulb changes)
- Voltage sensitivity
- Environmental impact
Have you considered the switch to more efficient sources?