If there is anything that 2020 has taught us, it is that there’s no place like home. It’s safe to say that we’ve all spent more time at home in the recent past, and connecting with our homes and making them more comfortable are trends that are here to stay in 2021.
Light and color are key to making your surroundings pleasing. We’ve got a look at two of the new Colors of the Year, plus an overview of trends in materials and elements that continue to rise in popularity.
Trends in Fixtures
Here are some of the trends in fixture design that feature the latest design elements and materials. These trends are seen across a range of design styles, from New Traditional, to Farmhouse, Industrial and more, to create the perfect lighting solution for every need.
- Clear and textured glass is used to elevate simple forms into works of art.
- Black finishes are hot and can almost be considered the new bronze.
- Gold finishes shine throughout the collections to offer a luxurious touch and can also serve as stunning contrast with natural materials in room settings.
- Tons of texture — both real and faux — add another dimensionality to many finishes on fixtures across the line.
- Designs that expose the lamp source continue in popularity, especially in farmhouse, industrial and rustic fixture styles.
- Organic themes pop up throughout collections that utilize unexpected materials like terrazzo, wicker, and mid-tone and lighter wood finishes to create a layered look that is visually interesting and comfortable.
- Naturalistic and sculptural shapes are used to create unique light compositions that are sure to be focal points wherever they are installed.
- Cozy and comforting are the keywords, leading to a melding of modern and traditional.
Two colors of the year for 2021 have a common theme: they are cozy and calming tones that represent the balance between work and life that we are all seeking in our homes.
Sherwin William’s “Urbane Bronze” reflects nature at its simplest and most elemental, embodying the richness of the earth’s stone, metal and wood to forge a feeling that’s grounded, meditative and serene. Let this color rooted in nature create a feeling of calm and bring all you cherish together. Pair gold- and brass-finished lighting in rooms featuring Urbane Bronze to create a rich yet comforting ambiance for the space.
Benjamin Moore’s “Aegean Teal” is a color that asks you to take a moment to reflect and reset. This soothing blue creates a natural harmony that lets you celebrate the simple pleasures in life that make a house, a home. The dusty light blue pairs with a palette of creams, whites, grays, and yellows that simply radiate warmth and well-being. Lighting choices that work well with this scheme have finishes of brass, brushed nickel, and matte black and lean towards styling that combines the best of modern and traditional lines.