Energy efficiency is important to the older buyer because of the impact on the environment and especially the impact on their wallets. In fact, 90 percent said they would purchase energy-efficient products if it would lower their energy bill.
Long-term financial security is a primary driver for this demographic, so they are willing to invest in green solutions now in order to save later.
The Benefits of LED
LED sources are a great solution for aging inhabitants for a number of reasons, including:
● Safety Benefits: Traditional incandescent sources waste energy – especially through heat energy. LED lamps produce almost no heat, which eliminates the risk of burns.
● Energy Savings: LED lamps can pay for themselves through energy and maintenance savings, while providing aesthetically pleasing lighting. So although the initial investment will be higher than a standard incandescent source, the long term energy savings offer a healthy return.
● Low Maintenance: An LED lamp can last for decades, making LED options a low-maintenance solution. Homeowners can say goodbye to climbing a ladder every year or so to change those burnt out lamps. The long life expectancy of LED lamps is of high value.
● Light Output: As we grow older, our eyes get more sensitive to light sources. Luckily, increases in efficacy (lumens per watt) and warm white color consistency make LED options gentle on aging eyes.
● Color Output: The key to selecting the right LED fixtures for aging individuals is to have a warm color temperature (2700-3000K) and high color-rendering index (90 CRI or above).